Sharkferno will be released on the Oculus Store on January 30, 2020 @ 10am Pacific Time.
See my blog post for some personal notes and acknowledgements.
Sharkferno is a frantic, fun third-person virtual reality experience for Oculus Rift located in a tropical paradise. You can play as a flying drone or as a human and switch your consciousness between them with the press of a button. Save the island dwellers by shooting futuristic weapons at flying sharks. Combine free movement with consciousness switching to get to where the action is for last-minute rescues. After the evil sharks have been vanquished, chill and soar around the tropical island.
Sharkferno is rated Intense for its free motion walking and flying, but for many people the third person perspective reduces motion sickness. No real sharks are harmed in the making or playing of Sharkferno, just make-believe evil flying sharks. Vanquished sharks merely roll over and then disappear; there is no blood or gore on Sharkferno Island.
See our blog for a technical description of recent performance improvements.
Sharkferno was built using the Flying Drone Toolkit and a more advanced (unreleased) version of the NPC Populator, both listed on our Unity Assets page.
Sharkferno requires an Oculus Rift or Rift S and a PC capable of running VR.
- Menu selections: point + X/A button or trigger.
- Pop-up menu: menu button.
- Aiming and shooting: natural arm motion + triggers.
- Forward / back / turning movement: right thumbstick (and/or left thumbstick for person only).
- Drone altitude and strafing: left thumbstick.
- Select person from drone: gaze.
- Switch control to selected person or back to drone: A button.
- Toggle red aiming lasers: X button.
- Increase drone speed: left hand trigger.